Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

Partially in the spirit of that major sports even happening on Sunday (what's it called? um ... something about a bowl, which makes me think of cooking ....) and also in the spirit of cold weather and the desire for comfort food ... I bring you this tasty recipe.

The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook (the square, green one) turned me on to this crazy concoction. I'll admit, before I had made this recipe the first time, I never knew that they actually SOLD ground chicken. LOL! I have made this recipe several times, and it is indeed DELICIOUS! Served up with a side of garlic mashed potatoes, my hubby will beg for seconds (and leftovers for lunch the next day) every time.

It contains one pound of ground chicken (I have also used Turkey, but think Chicken is better for this recipe), old-fashioned oats, 1/2c of skim milk, 1/4c onion, shredded carrot, chopped celery, egg, a little salt, 2 oz. of Blue Cheese Crumbles, and 2 1/2T of Buffalo Wing Sauce. So, in theory, you have buffalo wings all wrapped up into this considerably less messy meatloaf form. And when you get a nice little bite of Blue Cheese .... YUM!

A few notes ... the few times I have made this, I have used a little of the Lawry's Buffalo Wing Sauce. Although it's good, I like a little more zing. So, you can either splash a little tabasco on your plate, or perhaps could also brush the loaf with a light layer of sauce on top. Though I am sure if I used the REAL wing sauce (or Louisiana Cayenne Sauce) there would be quite enough burn to more than clear your sinuses.

Since it IS meatloaf, you can also pair it with a number of sides. I like the traditional mashed potatoes. however, a nice leafy green salad, steamed or grilled veggies or a number of other choices could certainly be prepared with it. And they make a tasty meatloaf sandwich the next day. But ... PLEASE ... for the sacredness of all that is hot wings ... DON'T put ketchup on it! LOL!

More coming this week ... no deadline schedule means I'm cooking more! YAY!

So until I blog again, Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

  1. heh...if it makes you feel any better I didn't know they make ground chicken either!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep ... and pork, and veal -- in addition to the more commonly used beef and turkey, of course. :0) Ah, the awesome things I learn when experimenting in my laboratory ... I mean ... kitchen. LOL.

    ReplyDelete