Friday, January 14, 2011

Super Bowl Chili

Well, I have a VERY special request .... Super Bowl Chili.

And I have a "recipe" all my very own. I tried making chili one day (for fun) from scratch without a recipe. It was delicious. I get begged to make it every year, sometimes even for the USC vs. ucla football game -- when it works out.

But first, I am afraid I must put in a few disclaimers. I change this recipe up all the time, to address my moods and the audience to which the chili is being served. But the basics are ALWAYS the same. Secondly, the "basic" recipe is MILD. So, for those who like HOT HOT HOT can adjust the recipe accordingly. :0) Below is the recipe for Andrea's Famous Super Bowl Chili:

Andrea's Famous Super Bowl Chili
serves 5 to 6 people
Best if prepared 24 hours in advance and reheated to serve.

3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced (color doesn't matter -- I use yellow)
1T of Olive Oil
1 lb. of Extra Lean Turkey
32 oz. can on Stewed tomatoes (no salt added)
15 oz. of Black Beans (low sodium)
32 oz. of Chili Beans (in sauce)
15 oz. of  Kidney Beans (lite/ low sodium)
6 oz. of frozen corn
1 serving (I think about 1T?) of Chili Seasoning (read package for serving size)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a large (6 qt.+) Stock Pot, heat the oil and sautee the garlic, onion and turkey until turkey is no longer pink. Add all of the other ingredients and simmer on low until the chili is completely heated through, stirring occasionally. Keep refrigerated overnight (or I suppose you can use a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours) and then reheat on the stove for optimal flavor blending. Serve with corn bread and low/non fat cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. Enjoy! GO FOOTBALL!

Note: to add heat, one could at a couple of diced jalapenos, red chiles, Tabasco (or other cayenne pepper sauce) etc to taste and preference. I sometimes add a couple cans of diced green chiles to add a little Southwestern twist.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm...sounds delish! Thanks Andrea! I will definitely try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete