Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting Back on the Wagon

So despite my posts of delicious, lower calorie alternatives, I must confess ... I still do a LOT of eating that I shouldn't. And since I am not held accountable for what I choose to consume, or when, or why, I have (admittedly) put 15 of the 30 pounds that I lost BACK ON.

Naturally, after having been so successful on my own in the past, I am extremely disappointed in myself. Yes, things like stress and a hectic schedule do make it a challenge to lose weight. But I need to stop using it as a crutch. No more "oh, it's okay if I eat half a pizza -- I'm stressed.". No more drowning my sorrows in a cheeseburger and fries. And this time, I mean it.

I thought I'd kick off a new (or rather stick to what I am supposed to eat) diet than with a little retail therapy? (huh?) I treated myself to a few new HEALTHY cookbooks. Though I have a number to choose from already, sometimes it becomes the nudge I need when I have some new cookbooks to try out. I am more excited to try these new things and share how wonderful they taste or how easy they were to make.

But here's what I am doing differently this time. I am keeping track of my calories and major foot statistics (like fat, sodium, sugar and fiber) online. This gives me no excuses for having left my food journal at home. I have no excuses for not keeping tabs on what I eat. I also started to plan out more than just dinner. I am also plotting out breakfast and lunch. Though I know the new system will have a few kinks as far as potential left overs go, I am sure that I'll have it down pat in a few weeks.

To me, here's the most important part. Part of my "food journal" (which is all set up nicely in a Google Doc spreadsheet I created) is a sheet that allows me to keep track of my stress level. When I am feeling stressed out, I rate what I am feeling on a scale of 1–10, keep track of my "stressor" and log what I choose to do to resolve the issue. If nothing else, this helps me to keep track of stress patterns, but also serves as a reminder that stress should not equal a chocolate bar.

Day one was good. I started the day with an apple, some water and a short power walk work out. I made Hungry Girl (less than 300 calorie) breakfast burritos. (YUM!) I had another Hungry Girl recipe for lunch that closely resembled a meat and cheese burrito from Taco Bell ... but healthier. Ended the day with some egg and turkey bacon pitas. In between, I had lots of water, and carrots and yogurt. And I kept track of EVERYTHING.

Unlike so many of the other diets out there, I did not feel hungry in between meals. If I space out meals and snacks (HEALTHY ONES) accordingly, I have enough energy and fiber in my body to keep me feeling satisfied. When I have that much going for me, it makes it MUCH easier to pass up those pesky temptations ... like donuts, cookies, pizza, burgers, or other indulgences. What's even more awesome is that I have things like breakfast burritos, fettucine alfredo, black bean burgers and more to help ease me back into healthy eating and right sized portions without feeling like I'm missing out.

So here's to watching my weight go in the right direction again. Here's to some awesome looking Veggie and Turkey wraps for lunch! Here's to holding myself accountable for what I eat. And here's to fitting into my jeans -- and maybe a cute dress or two.

Off to get a good night's sleep before yet another crazy day at the office -- filled with lots of healthy alternatives in between. I'll be blogging and posting photos of successful cheeseburger diversions soon! Until then, Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment