Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crustless Quiche




New Year's Eve morning ... I thought I'd make something a little different for breakfast. Okay, so I had planned to make this and put it on the menu before I had gone grocery shopping for the week, so it is not like I just woke up and decided to start creating breakfast out of the random things in my refrigerator. But this breakfast was SO worth it. The best part, was that I didn't have to make a pie crust to enjoy this delectable delight.

4 eggs, a little whole wheat flour, reduced fat feta cheese, reduced fat cheddar cheese, fat free cottage cheese and 10 oz. of frozen broccoli, salt and pepper. That's it. Done. It's really THAT EASY.

I found this recipe in Better Home and Garden's "Eat Well, Lose Weight" cookbook. Of course you can always substitute the "reduced fat" cheese for all fat free stuff .... I just usually have a really hard time finding fat free cheeses (like Cheddar or Jack, etc.) in my local Albertsons stores. So I figure reduced fat is a decent alternative as opposed to "whole fat".

When I made this recipe, I seriously thought it would be really watery because of the broccoli and the cottage cheese. However, when cooked to perfection (and the top of the pie is slightly browned) then there was none of that yucky moisture left ... each slice was had a nice texture and was firm to lift out of the pie pan.

If I make this one again, I might want to add a little "zing" to it. Though it was wonderfully delicious just as it was, I might add a little cayenne pepper, or perhaps a few sprinkles of red chili flakes or finely diced jalapeño to add a little heat but without adding a heap of sodium, fat or calories.

The only "drawback", if you can call it that, is that it cooks in the oven at 375º for 35-40 minutes. (I found closer to 40 minutes worked a little better). So it smells delicious and torments your empty tummy until its ready. But, when it's done, you get to consume 1/6th of the pie for a delightful 197 calories. This is a great recipe to make and freeze in single servings so that you have ready-made breakfasts on the go to heat up and eat at your desk in the morning --- and it would last a whole week!

I added 2 thin slices of ready-cooked bacon on the side for a little "cheat". Serve this up with some hot coffee, orange juice or skim milk (or soy milk, if you prefer) and you're ready to start your day.

Until next time,
Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

  1. mmm....I've never made a quiche before but you make it sound so easy! Too bad david doesn't like brocolli, but I sure do! Might have to just make it for myself and then I would have breakfast done for the rest of the week! ha!

    I still haven't transitioned to buying fat free/reduced fat cheeses yet. But this recipe gives me good reason to try it!

    Thanks Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was easy. I am sure you could substitute the broccoli for an equally healthy Spinach or perhaps chopped Swiss Chard. As for Fat Free or Reduced Fat cheeses, they don't taste any different than "regular" cheese. The switch is seamless and you won't know the difference. I'll have to send you the "full instructional" recipe later. :0) You can also use egg substitute instead of egg and take even MORE fat out of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete